About Me

My photo
I am the Mother of two great adult children, Elizabeth 27 years, and Scott 24 years. On September 4, 2010 I gained a new son-in-law in the family - Josh. I look forward to the new adventures this brings our family! I find it difficult to be a human "being" versus a human "doing" and strive to find a peace and serenity.

Wednesday, March 2, 2011

What's the longest you've been without sleep? #postaday2011

Four days. The exact dates were February 1, 2, 3 and 4, 2007.

On February 1 at 7:30 pm two Army Officers (one a chaplain and one a Casualty Assistance Officer knocked on our door. I was home alone at the time. When I opened the door they asked for Michael Mettille (the father of my children and my son's - M. Scott - name). Mike was on active duty stationed on Iraq. When I clarified that they needed to talk to my son, I slammed the door in their face. I knew what they were about to tell me. I knew that my children's lives were about to change forever. They waited and I opened the door and invited them in. They asked to speak with Michael Scott and Elizabeth Anne Mettille (my daughter). Both were living in Ames at the time, Liza and I had just hung up the phone before the knock on the door. As they explained who they were and why they needed to talk with my children, I couldn't stand. I couldn't think. I couldn't process any other information other than that Mike had lost his life while serving his country.

The rest of this story is not mine to tell. My children's lives changed in that moment - Liza was 21 and Scott 18. Mike was 44, a proud soldier and Father.


No comments:

Post a Comment