About Me

My photo
I am the Mother of two great adult children, Elizabeth 27 years, and Scott 24 years. On September 4, 2010 I gained a new son-in-law in the family - Josh. I look forward to the new adventures this brings our family! I find it difficult to be a human "being" versus a human "doing" and strive to find a peace and serenity.

Thursday, April 7, 2011

I think everyone is feeling it

I am talking about how the forced installation of fear and terror in our daily lives is taking a toll on everyone. I am talking about how the polarized two party system (or is it really two parties?) continues to create havoc for everyone except the "haves." I am talking about recent college students who can't find a job that pays an affordable living wage, with benefits, and a balance between their personal versus professional life. I am talking about the national debt, the wars/invasions, the economic climate, the consequences of like minded people leading for too long.

A colleague and I were talking about "it" several years ago and decided to create a group of folks that could gather to disperse some of our angst, frustration, and ideally find something to be hopeful about. We gathered and it really did help. We vented and grumbled and then we started to laugh and feel a sense of community - community with common goals and values. It was a good time.

I've crossed paths with colleagues who feel the same angst, frustration, fear, and urgency to "do" something - but maybe a bit uncertain what that might be. So, I gathered the group again - many had already left the university, but there were several new members. I think I enjoyed the age range most of all - 26 to 52 years. We talked, we vented, we tried very hard to identify things that make us smile, happy, or are more optimistic. We really struggled to identify these things.

And then one of my colleagues mentioned a student's name, Ahna K., and said, "She gives me hope." And we all agreed that Ahna  and her philosophical, political, social, environmental, and economic outlook is hopeful, optimistic, and the future of the globe. I think it was also important for those above 35 years of age to highlight the possibilities for the future. It is our responsibility to encourage, role model, mentor, and support the next generation as they negotiate their place in and responsibility to our world. We did this. We told stories of our first activist activity and provided examples of tiny steps leading to bigger systemic change.

It was a good night. We will get together again soon. I think we should continue to invite a range of ages to increase hope and empower people.  

No comments:

Post a Comment